The Bitpanda Card is the easiest way to spend your investments online and in shops all across the globe. You can use all supported cryptocurrency wallets, metals wallets, and the EUR wallet for your daily purchases - that means you can now even pay with real gold everywhere you go!
- How to order
- How to activate
- How to use
- How payments are processed
- Card limits
- BEST VIP benefits & cashback
- Transaction status
- Card declined & failed transactions
- Blocking and unblocking a card
- Renewal & expired cards
- Payment history
- How to set up Google Pay
- How to set up Samsung Pay
To be able to use the Bitpanda Card, please make sure of the following:
- You have a verified Bitpanda account
- You are a resident of a euro area country
- You have at least EUR 100 worth of assets on Bitpanda
- You have downloaded the Bitpanda mobile app, as certain aspects (card activation, card payment history and card settings) are only available in the mobile app
Note: The Bitpanda Card is only available to residents of euro area countries and there is no information yet that we can share on whether new countries will be added at some point in the future.
How to order
Ordering your Bitpanda Card is totally free. There is no shipment cost and no management fees. You can order directly within the Bitpanda web or mobile app. Simply follow these steps:
- Log in to the Bitpanda web or mobile app
- Make sure your legal name you registered with Bitpanda is spelled correctly on your account, as it will also be the one used on your card. If you need to correct it, please contact us before
- Click on your User Icon
- Select Card
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Keep in mind that the shipping address you enter has to be within the euro area. Card delivery usually takes around 5 to 10 business days (excluding weekends and public holidays). If your card hasn’t arrived after 10 business days, please give it another 2 business days.
Tip: Depending on user demand or changes to our launch schedule, there might be delays in shipment and order fulfilment, as the card bureau can only issue a certain amount of cards per day. There is also only a limited amount of cards available at launch, so make sure you order yours early on!
Note: Due to the current COVID-19 situation, delivery services might experience significant delays of up to 1-2 months for the delivery of your card. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to speed up the delivery even if you contact us about it. There is also no tracking code that we could offer you at this point in time. Please give the delivery services enough time for the processing of your order in these challenging times.
Tip: The PIN will be generated once the card is created, and you will be able to view it as soon as you activate your card.
How to activate
To activate your card, you will need the Bitpanda App installed on your mobile phone and the 3 digit security code found below your name on the back of your card. Simply follow these steps:
- If you haven’t done so yet, download the Bitpanda App via the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Log into your Bitpanda account inside the mobile app and pair your smartphone by clicking on the link in the confirmation email that was sent
- Activate your Bitpanda Card by clicking on the “Activate” banner in the dashboard of your Bitpanda App. Alternatively, go to your profile and select Card
- Type in the security code from the back of your card and follow the in-app instructions
You can also find all the details on activating your card here.
Note: Please note that it is not possible to change your PIN online. You can change your PIN at certain ATMs which provide this option.
How to use
Tip: The Bitpanda Card also supports contactless payments of up to EUR 50. Before contactless payments can be used though, a normal chip and PIN transaction has to be completed.
Once you have received your card, simply take care of the following:
- Activate your card as described above
- Make sure you always have enough funds in the Bitpanda wallet you would like to use for payments
- Make sure this wallet (Main payment asset) is connected to your Bitpanda Card
- (Optional) Set a Fallback payment asset. If a payment is too big to be covered by the selected Main payment asset, the full amount will be deducted from the fallback wallet. This helps to avoid failed transactions if your main wallet runs low on funds. If neither of the two connected wallets cover the transaction costs including fees, then the transaction will fail and your card will be declined by the merchant
- Earn up to 2% cashback paid in BTC on all your Bitpanda Card purchases if you are a BEST VIP and you have used a cryptocurrency or metals wallet as a payment asset
Tip: You can change the Main payment asset and the Fallback payment asset at any time via the Bitpanda mobile app with just a few taps.
Note: The BTC cashback is only paid for purchases and when a cryptocurrency or metals wallet is used as a payment asset. It does not apply if the EUR wallet is used directly as your payment asset.
How payments are processed
All payments will be executed in EUR. When you make a purchase with your Bitpanda Card, the following happens:
- The trade
The respective amount will automatically be sold from your connected payment asset (i.e. Bitcoin) to your EUR wallet
- The settlement transaction
This amount will then be deducted in EUR from your EUR wallet to pay for the purchase
- The BTC cashback
As a BEST VIP, you will receive up to 2% cashback paid in BTC depending on your BEST VIP level for each successful purchase if you used a cryptocurrency or metals wallet as a payment asset
Tip: If you use the Bitpanda Card to make payments in non-EUR currencies, then a currency exchange fee has to be deducted from your connected wallet to fund the transaction. You can learn more about fees below.
- The daily expenditure limit is EUR 10,000
- The daily ATM withdrawal limit is EUR 350
- The limit for each contactless payment is EUR 50 (This amount can differ depending on the country)
Tip: There are no minimum transaction amounts.
When you pay with your Bitpanda Card, an asset-to-fiat trade takes place in your Bitpanda account, and for this the usual trading fee applies. There is no additional transaction fee on top of that. In fact, we pay the transaction fee to Visa for our users.
There is a EUR 1.50 ATM withdrawal fee. For payments and ATM withdrawals in non-EUR currencies an additional foreign currency exchange fee of 2.5% applies (which decreases depending on your BEST VIP level). You can find a detailed overview of all fees here.
Tip: You will also find all details inside the Bitpanda mobile app at Limits and fees in the card settings. In addition, they are also shown in the Transaction details of each individual transaction.
BEST VIP benefits
Depending on your BEST VIP level, you can enjoy several benefits like free ATM withdrawals, a reduced foreign exchange fee and increased cashback in BTC:
POS fee (EUR)
POS fee (non-EUR) foreign exchange
Cashback in BTC*
*Your payments will be excluded from the BTC cashback programme if fiat (EUR) is your selected payment asset.
All BEST VIPs are eligible to receive cashback paid out in BTC, which will be credited to your BTC standard wallet on Bitpanda directly after each successful purchase with your Bitpanda Card. The cashback amount can be up to 2% and depends on your BEST VIP level.
If your BEST VIP level changes, it will be reflected in your card dashboard after 23:59 CET of the same day the level changes. For example, if you jump from BEST level 1 to level 2 on Monday at 16:00 CET, then all new BEST VIP benefits for your card will start to apply on the same Monday at 23:59 CET.
Tip: All cashback is paid in BTC, not in any other crypto or fiat currencies.
Once a payment is successful, there will be an entry in your Bitpanda history, showing all successful transactions and their respective transaction tag. Unsuccessful transactions won’t show up here.
There are 4 kinds of transactions that can happen with each card transaction:
- Trade (Buy and Sell) - the selected asset is sold to your EUR wallet
- Settlement - the actual payment from your EUR wallet to the merchant
- Cashback - BTC cashback credited to your BTC wallet
- Refund - a refund for a cancelled or failed transaction
Card declined & failed transactions
If a transaction fails, you will receive a push notification with instructions on how to proceed. Most payments fail due to insufficient funds on your connected wallet. Make sure you have enough assets in your chosen wallet to cover the payment amount. Transactions will also fail if you exceed your daily card limits or if your card is blocked.
The most common reasons why your card may have been declined include the following:
- Your Bitpanda Card must be activated prior to use. If you have not done so yet, please complete the card activation as described here
- You don’t have enough funds in your connected Bitpanda wallet
- The respective payment would exceed your daily card limits
- You have entered an incorrect or expired SMS code
- Your card is blocked for any of the reasons mentioned here
- You have ordered a new card and are trying to use your old expired card
- The wallet of the connected payment asset was in maintenance while initiating a payment
- You have reached the proof of funds threshold for your Bitpanda account
- The payment was declined due to a specific Merchant Category Code (MCC) which is generally not accepted, like payments at Automated Fuel Dispensers (AFDs) for example
- There is a technical issue on the merchant’s side:
- Should this have occurred when using the physical card, then the card machine might have been experiencing technical issues. In such cases, it is advisable to use a different card machine or to ask that the card details be entered manually
- Should this have occurred when using the card online, this might have been due to too many transactions being processed at once or due to the merchant’s internet connection. In such cases, it is advisable to retry the transaction. If the issue persists, please contact the merchant (i.e. to make a transaction over the phone) or try an alternative card payment option (i.e. Google Pay or Samsung Pay)
Any refund will be credited back in EUR to your EUR wallet, excluding the Bitpanda sell fee for the asset-to-EUR trade, regardless of which payment asset you have connected to your card.
Tip: All refunds will also be visible in your Bitpanda history.
Blocking and unblocking a card
If you lost your card, if it was stolen or for any other security reasons, you can temporarily block it in the Bitpanda mobile app at any time:
- Log in to the Bitpanda mobile app
- Inside your card dashboard, tap on the gear icon in the top right to open the card settings
- Tap on Block card and follow the instructions
To unblock a temporarily blocked card yourself, simply open your card dashboard on your mobile device again, tap the gear icon in the top right to open the card settings, tap on Unblock card and follow the instructions.
Tip: If you tap the block or unblock button too quickly in succession, the action will be unsuccessful and you will see an error message prompting you to repeat it after a few seconds. Please wait for a few seconds and try it again.
In some instances, we will need to block the card for you. This could happen for the following reasons:
- You have entered the CVV incorrectly 3 times. You can unblock it yourself in the card settings inside your mobile app
- You have entered the PIN incorrectly 3 times. Please wait for 24 hours and try it again. If you need to speed it up, please contact us
- If we detect suspicious or fraudulent activity, we might block your card for security reasons. In this case, please get in touch with us here
Note: To permanently block your card, please contact us here.
To replace a damaged, lost or stolen card, simply navigate to Reorder card in the card settings in the mobile app and follow the in-app instructions once that option becomes available. Keep in mind that the shipping address has to be within the euro area.
Note: Directly after initiating a reorder, the old card is permanently blocked automatically and you will no longer be able to use it. The delivery of your new card usually takes around 5 to 10 business days (excluding weekends and public holidays).
Renewal & expired cards
Your card will renew automatically and a new card will be sent to you at no additional cost.
Tip: When your card is renewed automatically, the card number and PIN will also stay the same on your new card. Only the CVV and expiration date will be updated.
In the mobile app, you can see the card payment history. When you tap on a payment, you can see all information on this card payment consolidated in one screen, such as the asset used, original currency, amount, ATM fee, foreign exchange fee, BTC cashback and more.
Asset trades and EUR wallet transactions are displayed separately in your History as well as directly inside the respective wallet used for payments.
Bitpanda and Visa use state-of-the-art anti-fraud detection systems to keep your money as safe as possible. In addition, online transactions need to be confirmed by you with your CVV (visible on the back of the card) and an SMS code, while offline transactions need to be confirmed with your PIN.
To add to the security of your card, please keep the following in mind:
- Never share your CVV, PIN or SMS code with anyone else. Bitpanda staff members will never ask for your CVV, PIN or SMS code
- We will never ask for fiat or cryptocurrencies to unlock your card
- We don't give away early access for fiat or cryptocurrencies
Please note that tax effects as part of the usage of the Bitpanda Card depend heavily on the individual tax situation of the respective customer and are very country specific. Therefore, please understand that Bitpanda cannot provide any tax support and we recommend that you get in touch with your tax advisor.
That said, you can check out your History section on Bitpanda for third-party tax reporting solutions. You may also find this external blog article helpful. Please keep in mind that we cannot guarantee the completeness and/or correctness of any third-party content.
Learn more on how to download your transaction and purchase history here.
How to set up Google Pay
To add your Bitpanda Card to Google Pay, please follow these steps:
- Open Google Pay on your phone
- Select the Payment tab
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Add payment method
- Tap Add credit or debit card
- Enter your Bitpanda Card information
- If prompted, choose an option from the list to verify your payment method
- Enter the verification code
How to set up Samsung Pay
To add your Bitpanda Card to Samsung Pay, please follow these steps:
- Open Samsung Pay on your phone
- Tap Menu in the top left corner, and then tap Cards
- Tap Add card (blue +card icon), and then tap Add credit/debit card
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register your card
The name you provided during your account verification on Bitpanda will also be used on your card. If you need to correct it, please contact us before you order your card.
Unfortunately, tracking the delivery status of your ordered card is not possible at the moment. Please give your order at least 5 to 10 business days to be delivered. If your card hasn’t arrived after 10 business days, please give it another 2 business days.
You can use your Bitpanda Card in all places where Visa credit & debit card payments are accepted. These include approximately 54 million Visa merchants in more than 200 countries.
The Bitpanda Card is more than just your average crypto card. It is a debit card connected to the Visa payment system. With it, you can spend online, in person, or make withdrawals anywhere in the world where Visa is accepted.
The most common reasons why your card may have been declined and what to do about it can be found here.
Please note that it is not possible to change your PIN online. The PIN will be generated once the card is created, and you will be able to view it as soon as you activate your card. But you may change your PIN afterwards at certain ATMs which provide this option. You can find ATMs that support PIN changes here. Simply enter your location and check the box at “PIN Change”.
The Bitpanda Card is only available to residents from the euro area. If you're not eligible to order the card, you won't see the order function or feature inside the Bitpanda web or mobile app.
There is also no ETA planned to offer the card outside of the euro area and there is no information we can share with you about additional countries to be added, even if you decide to contact us.
No, we only offer one Bitpanda Card that holds all available features. It comes in Bitpanda branded colours and, at this point, no colour customisation beyond that is available.
The only difference that may arise is from your individual BEST VIP level, where you enjoy different benefits depending on the combined amount of BEST you hold in your Bitpanda BEST wallets on Bitpanda and Bitpanda Pro. Learn more about all the BEST benefits here.
No, only one active card per user is possible.
Currently, Apple Pay is not supported, but we're already working to make it available to iOS users too as soon as possible.
Currently this is not possible, but we have it on our list to potentially make this option available in the future.
Yes, offline transactions (i.e. in airplanes) are possible for up to EUR 25. If there was an error with your offline transaction, please contact us.
The cashback will be paid in BTC to your BTC standard wallet on Bitpanda directly after each successful purchase with your Bitpanda Card. If you don’t see it in your account right away, please give it a few minutes to process and then refresh the page. The cashback amount can be up to 2% and depends on your BEST VIP Level.
Only BEST VIPs are eligible to receive cashback in BTC.
BEST VIP level changes will be reflected in your card conditions after 23:59 CET of the same day the level changes. For example, if you jump from BEST level 1 to level 2 on Monday at 16:00 CET, then all new BEST VIP benefits for your card will start to apply on the same Monday at 23:59 CET.
Tip: Additional questions are also answered in our FAQ on our website.
- Card not received
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, delivery services might experience significant delays of up to 1-2 months for the delivery of your card. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to speed up the delivery even if you contact us about it. There is also no tracking code that we could offer you at this point in time. Please give the delivery services enough time for the processing of your order in these challenging times
- Payment Reservations
Please note that for certain payments such as reservations for hotels or car rentals, we have to deduct the value of the respective payment upfront. This means that the trade from your chosen asset and EUR deduction will already take place at the time you initiate the payment
If you think you were wrongfully charged, please contact the merchant directly for clarification. Most issues can be resolved with the merchant. If you can't resolve it with the merchant, you can contact us here
- Technical issues
If you come across technical issues or questions not answered above, feel free to reach out to us at any time
For additional information, please refer to our terms and conditions.